Sara Lolar, M.S., PA-C, DFAAPA
Assistant Professor - Clinical
EACPHS, Suite 2590
Physician Assistant Studies
<a href="https://cphs.wayne.edu/news/see-one-do-one-teach-one-sara-lolar-brings-expertise-and-enthusiasm-to-wsu-applebaums-physician-assistant-studies-program-45145">See one, do one, teach one: Sara Lolar brings expertise and enthusiasm to WSU Applebaum's Physician Assistant Studies Program</a>
Sara Lolar, M.S., PA-C, DFAAPA
Degrees and Certifications
- Emergency Medicine Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ), 2016
- Wayne State University, M.S in Physician Assistant Studies, 2005
- Wayne State University, B.S. in Biological Sciences, 1995
Positions and Employment
- Assistant Professor (Clinical), Physician Assistant Studies, Wayne State University, 2018-present
- Detroit Receiving Hospital Emergency Department (Medical Center Emergency Services/MCES), Physician Assistant, 2005-present
- Part-time Faculty, Physician Assistant Studies, Wayne State University, 2006-2018
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Teaching Travel Grant, WSU Office of Teaching and Learning. Support to present research and teach ultrasound skills to PA students at AAPA national conference May 2023. $1200.
- Faculty Research Award Program (FRAP), Wayne State University EACPHS. Project title: Physician assistant scholarship: gender differences and factors that promote female authorship. Funded 6/1/2022 - 5/31/2023. $10,000.
- Don Pedersen Research Grant, Physician Assistant Education Association. Project title: Barriers to Research: A national survey of physician assistant faculty. Funded 1/10/2020 - 10/31/2022. $6,995
- Health Care Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award. Wayne State University, EACPHS. Awarded March 2023.
- New Faculty Award for Professional Excellence. PAEA. Awarded October 22, 2020.
- Dale Sillix Teaching Award of Excellence. Wayne State University Physician Assistant Studies. Awarded: 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022
- Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA). Faculty Development Mission Advancement Commission. 2023 - 2025.
- Pi Alpha National Honor Society for Physician Assistants
- Society of Emergency Medicine Physician Assistants (SEMPA)
- Society of Point of Care Ultrasound (SPOCUS)
- Distinguished Fellow of the American Academy of PAs (DFAAPA)
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA)
- Michigan Academy of Physician Assistants (MAPA)
Areas of Expertise
- Faculty Development
- Academic admissions
- Point of care ultrasound
- Emergency medicine
- Lolar S., R. Ehrman, A. Messman, A. Garino. Examining gender trends in physician assistant publications. Accepted as "Research in Action" presentation, AAPA 2023.
- Lolar S., R. Ehrman, A. Messman, A. Garino. Physician assistant scholarship: Exploring the female author experience. Manuscript preparation.
- Lolar, S, Welch R, Garino A. Gender differences in behaviors and attitudes that support scholarly productivity. J Physician Assist Educ. Accepted 7/2023.
- Tocco, J., S. Maher, S. Lolar. Healthcare experience impact on first-year physician assistant students’ communication self-efficacy. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. In press.
- Lolar, S., B. Nandwana, S. Maher. Type of health care experience impact on PAEA End of Rotation exam scores: a retrospective exploratory study. J Physician Assist Educ. 2023; 34(2):142-146.
- Lolar, S., R. Welch, A. Garino. Barriers to research: A national survey of physician assistant faculty. J Physician Assist Educ. 2023; 34(1): 20-27.
- Lolar, S. Student ultrasound interest group: a novel method of introducing ultrasound to physician assistant students. J Physician Assist Educ, 2022. 33(2): 131-134.
- Lolar, S. Gestational Trophoblastic Disease, JAAPA, Apr 2021; 34(4):52-53.
- Lolar, S, J McQueen, S Maher, Correlation between physician assistant students’ performance score of history taking and physical exam documentation and scores of Graduate Record Examination, clinical year grade point average, and score of Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam in the United States. J Educ Eval Health Prof 2020;17:16.
- Lolar S, Pilat MJ, Welch RD. Impact of Type of Healthcare Experience Before Physician Assistant School Admission on PANCE Score. J Allied Health. 2020;49(3):176-180.
- Lolar, S.A., R.L. Sherwin, D.M. Robinson, et al. Effectiveness of an urban emergency department call-back system in the successful linkage to treatment of sexually transmitted infections. South Med J, May 2015. 108(5): p. 268-73.
Peer Reviewed Posters:
- Lolar S, Ehrman R, Messman A, Garino A. Examining gender trends in physician assistant publication. AAPA national conference, Nashville, TN, May 22, 2023. Research in Action presentation
- Lolar, S, R. Welch, A. Garino. Gender differences in behaviors and attitudes that support scholarly productivity. Accepted as oral research brief. PAEA Educational Forum. October 2022.
- Lolar, S, R. Welch, A. Garino. Barriers to research: A national survey of physician assistant faculty. PAEA Education Forum, virtual, October 11-15, 2021. Research brief oral presentation.
- Lolar, S, B. Nandwana. Type of health care experience impact on End of Rotation scores. PAEA Education Forum, virtual, October 11-15, 2021. Abstract/poster.
- Tocco, Joe, S Maher, S. Lolar. Healthcare experience impact on first-year physician assistant students’ communication self-efficacy. EACPHS College Research Day, October 14, 2020. Awarded 2nd place in Health Care Sciences Student category.