Joseph Fava, Pharm.D., BCACP
Joseph Fava, Pharm.D., BCACP
Degrees and Certifications
- 2014 - Wayne State University Post-Graduate Pharmacy Teaching Certificate Program
- 2011 - PharmD, Wayne State University
- 2005-2007 - Pre-pharmacy undergraduate coursework, Wayne State University
- 2019-Present - Board-certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (Board of Pharmacy Specialties)
- 2016-Present - APhA Delivering Medication Therapy Management
- 2016-Present - NACDS Community Pharmacy-based Point-of-Care Testing Certificate Training
- 2015-Present - American Pharmacists Association Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Certificate
- 2009-Present - Basic Life Support for Heathcare Providers (AHA)
- 2018-2020 - Tuberculosis Skin Testing Certification (MDHHS)
- 2016 - APhA Pharmacy-Based Cardiovascular Disease Risk Management Certificate Training Program
- 2014 - WSU EACPHS Post-Graduate Pharmacy Teaching Certificate Program
Positions and Employment
- 2015-Present - Assistant Professor (Clinical), Wayne State University
- 2014-2015 - PGY-2 Pharmacy Resident - Ambulatory Care, John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Med Center
- 2013-2014 - PGY-1 Pharmacy Resident, Beaumont Health - Oakwood Campus
- 2011-2013 - Pharmacy Manager, Walgreens
Awards and Honors
- 2021 - Honorary membership: Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society
- 2016 - APhA Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP; WSU Chapter) Outstanding Faculty Member Award
- 2016-Present - Member, Alliance for Immunziation in Michigan (AIM)
- 2015-Present - Member, American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
- 2015-Present - Member, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- 2009-2011, 2016-2018, 2021-present - Member, American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
- 2007-Present - Member, Michigan Pharmacists Association (MPA)
Areas of Expertise
- Community pharmacy practice advancement
- Ambulatory Care
Primary Research Interest
- Community pharmacy-based clinical services
- Vaccine therapeutics
- O’Connell MB, Borchert JS, Slazak EM, Fava JP. Chapter 112: Osteoporosis. In Dipiro JT, Yee GC, Haines ST, Nolin TD, Ellingrod V, Posey M eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 12th edition. Copyright © 2013 by McGraw-Hill Education. All rights reserved.
- O’Connell MB, Borchert JS, Slazak EM, Fava JP. Chapter 108: Osteoporosis. In Dipiro JT, Yee GC, Posey M, Haines ST, Nolin TD, Ellingrod V, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, 11th edition. Copyright © 2019 by McGraw-Hill Education. All rights reserved.
- Gortney JS, Fava JP, Berti A, Stewart B. Comparison of student pharmacists' performance on in-person vs. virtual OSCEs in a pre-APPE capstone course. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2022 Sep;14(9):1116-1121. doi: 10.1016/j.cptl.2022.07.026. Epub 2022 Aug 5.
- Yahia A, Cole E, Rayford A, Fava J. A community-based, interdisciplinary approach to improving HPV vaccine uptake at a large urban public university. J Am Coll Health. 2022 Mar 10;1-7. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2022.2044823. PMID: 35271416.
- Isaacs D, Bishop M, Burke ES, Clements JN, Fava JP, Kaakeh R, Rager ML, Manlimos KV, Man BY. Career advancement in health-system pharmacy: Clinical pharmacists as future leaders. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2021 Mar 27:zxab131. doi: 10.1093/ajhp/zxab131. PMID: 33772278.
- O'Connell MB, Fava JP, Gilkey SJ, Dereczyk AL, Higgins R, Burke CA, Lucarotti RL, Gaggin PE. Using community pharmacies and team observed structured clinical encounters (TOSCEs) for interprofessional education and training. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2021 Jan;13(1):19-28. doi: 10.1016/j.cptl.2020.07.018. PMID: 33131613.
- Fava JP, Whitney M, Mendez J, O’Connell MB. Bone health assessments by student pharmacists during interprofessional education. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. (accepted for publication 5 April 2020, in press).
- Fava JP, Zofchak KM, Jedinak TJ, Erickson SR. Student Perspectives Regarding Specialty Pharmacy Within Doctor of Pharmacy Curricula. J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2019 Nov;25(11):1255-1259. doi: 10.18553/jmcp.2019.25.11.1255. PMID: 31663463.
- Baalbaki NA, Fava JP, Ng M, Okorafor E, Nawaz A, Chiu W, Salim A, Cha R, Kilgore PE. A Community-Based Survey to Assess Knowledge, Attitudes, Beliefs and Practices Regarding Herpes Zoster in an Urban Setting. Infect Dis Ther. 2019 Dec;8(4):687-694. doi: 10.1007/s40121-019-00269-2. Epub 2019 Oct 3. PMID: 31583578.
- Fava JP, Stewart B, Dudzinski KM, et al. Emerging Topics in Vaccine Therapeutics for Adolescents and Adults: An Update for Immunizing Pharmacists. J Pharm Pract. 2018 Oct 23. doi: 10.1177/0897190018802937. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fava JP, Starr KM, Ratz D, et al. Dosing challenges with direct oral anticoagulants in the elderly: a retrospective analysis. Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2018 May 17;9(8):405-414. doi: 10.1177/2042098618774498. eCollection 2018 Aug.
- Fava J. Pharmacist Burnout in the Midst of COVID-19. MSHP Monitor. 2020 Nov 15;40(11):1.
- George J, Fava J. Immunization Update – 2018. MSHP Monitor. 2018 May 15;37(5):7-10 and Michigan Pharmacist. 2018 Oct 7;56(4):26-7.
Papers Published in Conference Proceedings
- Sondor A, Delor B, Baker M, Fava J. Exploring Practice Engagement and Professional Fulfillment Among Community Pharmacy Staff in Michigan (American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting and Exposition, Phoenix AZ, March 25, 2023).
- Laza R, Erickson S, Fava J. Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination: First-year College Students' beliefs & attitudes (Abstract ID: 1359537, American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Midyear Clinical Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, December 6, 2022).
- Husseini AG, Fawaz A, Fakherddine M, Zalanca S, Fava J, Levine D, Goyal A, Farooqi A, Mendez J. Identifying Correlation Between Malnutrition and Risk For Major Osteoporotic Events in Geriatric Patients (Association for Gerontology in Higher Education Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, March 2, 2018).
Abstracts Published in Academic Journals
- Glowacki G, Wenstrom K, DeLor B, Fava J. POEM Assessment for Improvement of Atopic Dermatitis in Specialty Pharmacy: Does Enrollment in a Patient Management Program with Pharmacist Intervention Improve Scores over Time? JAPhA. 62;4(2022):e1092. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japh.2022.05.015.
- Miran N, Fava J. 1170 - Effects of a Pharmacy Technician Immunization Training Program on Vaccination Volume and Pharmacist and Pharmacy Technician Job Satisfaction. JAPhA. 61;(2021):e102. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japh.2021.04.021.
- Gutenschwager D, Orzechowski T, Fava J, Salinitri F, Marinco V, Lucarotti R. Community Pharmacy Implementation of a Patient Self-Completed Medical and Medication History Form (Poster #SP-180, ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting & Exhibition, December 9, 2020).
- Sandiha S, Fava J, DeLor B. 537-Implementation of a Resident-Driven Transitions of Care Service in a Chain Community Pharmacy. JAPhA. 60;(2020):e234. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japh.2020.04.013.
- Yahia A, Cole E, Rayford A, Fava J. #KnockOutHPV: A Community-based, Interdisciplinary Approach to Improving HPV Vaccine Uptake at a Large Urban Public University (Mid-America College Health Association Conference, Detroit, MI, October 24, 2019).
- Kolc S, Hegeman-Dingle R, Hanna A, Fava J. 12-Improving Pharmacy Staff Knowledge of a Medication Synchronization Program and Impact On Proportion Of Days Covered For Medicare Patients In A Community Pharmacy Chain. JAPhA. 59;(2019):e43. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.japh.2019.05.016.
- Baalbaki NA, Ng M, Okorafor E, Nawaz A, Chiu W, Salim A, Fava JP, Kilgore P. A community-based survey to assess knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practices regarding herpes zoster in an urban setting (WSU EACPHS Research Day, Detroit, MI, November 7, 2018, awarded first place in Pharmacy Practice category).
- Whitney M, Fava J, O’Connell MB. Second-year pharmacy student assessment of calcium and vitamin D intakes in older adults (WSU EACPHS Research Day, Detroit, MI, November 7, 2018).
Instructional Materials Formerly Published
- Moving the Needle: Immunization Training for Pharmacy Technicians (ACPE-accredited pharmacy technician continuing education and certificate training program, published August 20, 2020. UAN 0510-0000-20-023-H06-T and 0510-0000-20-024-L06-T. Accredited through August 11, 2023)
Courses taught by Joseph Fava, Pharm.D., BCACP
Winter Term 2023
- PPR6295 - Clinical Capstone
- PHA4225 - Principles of Pharmacotherapy I: Respiratory, Gastroenterology, Allergy, Ophthalmology
Fall Term 2022
- PHA5125 - Principles of Pharmacotherapy III: Endocrinology, Gynecology, Urology
- PPR6115 - Applied Therapeutics in Self-Care