Paul Kilgore, M.P.H., M.D., F.A.C.P.
Professor & Director of Research
EACPHS, Room 2156
2023--present - Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
Paul Kilgore, M.P.H., M.D., F.A.C.P.
Degrees and Certifications
- 1991 - Doctor of Medicine, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- 1987 - Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI
- 1985 - Bachelor of Science in Pyschobiology, University of Michigan, College of Literature, Science and the Arts, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2012 - National Board of Public Health Examiners
- 2022 - American Board of Internal Medicine
Positions and Employment
- 2011-2023 - Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- 2006-2011 - Senior Scientist, Translational Research Division, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
- 1999-2005 - Research Scientist, Translational Research Division, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
- 1997-1999 - Staff Physician, Primary Care Section, Department of Internal Medicine, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta, GA
- 1996-1999, Medical Epidemiologist, Public Health Service, Commissioned Corps. Infant Immunization Activity, Child Vaccine Preventable Diseases Branch, National Immunization Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA.
Awards and Honors
- 2018 - Fellowship, American College of Physicians
- 2017 - Excellence in Research Award, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- 2009 - Long-term Service Award, International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
- International Society for Vaccines
- American Telemedicine Association
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American College of Epidemiology
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- American College of Physicians
- American Public Health Association
- American Society of Microbiology
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- Society of Epidemiologic Research
- Society for Clinical Trials
- Society for General Internal Medicine
Areas of Expertise
- Vaccine Research
- Epidemiologic Methods
- Global Health Research
- Health Disparities Associated with Infectious Diseases and Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
- Outcomes Research
- Translational Medicine and Research
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology
- Emerging Infectious Diseases
Primary Research Interest
- The overarching vision of our research program is the reduction of disease burden associated with bacterial and viral infections among infants, children and adults. Our research program focuses on the study of infections using innovative, multi-disciplinary tools that enable more rapid disease diagnosis as well as more accurate ascertainment of the disease burden due to specific infectious pathogens. Our research integrates the application of tools across a wide range of disciplines in order to accurately describe disease burden by age, race/ethnicity, geography and environment. We conduct our research in close cooperation with community partners, non-governmental stakeholders, faith-based organizations, public health experts, and other technical experts with the goal of supporting the development of health programs and policies that improve individual patient outcomes and safety as well as reduce health disparities in the general population. Based on empiric research findings, we conduct rigorously-designed, evidence-based evaluation of interventions to achieve sustainable health gains particularly among underserved populations.
- Paul E. Kilgore and Tom Coenye. Chapter 47: Bordetella and Related Genera in Manual of Clinical Microbiology, 13th Edition. Editors: Karen C. Carroll, Michael A. Pfaller, Marie Louise Landry, Alexander J. McAdam, Robin Patel, Sandra S. Richter, David W. Warnock. American Society of Microbiology, Washington, D.C. 2023.
- Paul E. Kilgore and Tom Coenye. Chapter 47: Bordetella and Related Genera in Manual of Clinical Microbiology, 12th Edition. Editors: Karen C. Carroll, Michael A. Pfaller, Marie Louise Landry, Alexander J. McAdam, Robin Patel, Sandra S. Richter, David W. Warnock. American Society of Microbiology, Washington, D.C. 2019.
- Kim EJ, Lee J, Yoon Y, Lee D, Baek Y, Takano C, Sakai J, Iijima T, Kanamori D, Gardner H, McLaughlin RE, Kilgore PE, Nakamura A, Ogihara T, Hayakawa S, Hoshino T, Kim DW, Seki M. Development of a novel loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for ß-lactamase gene identification using clinical isolates of Gram-negative bacteria. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2023 Jan 12;12:1000445.
- Kilgore P (Co-PI), Hardt K, Vandebosch A, Sadoff J, Le Gars M, Truyers C, Lowson D, Van Dromme I, Vingerhoets J, Kamphuis T, Scheper G, Ruiz-Guiñazú J, Faust SN, Spinner CD, Schuitemaker H, Van Hoof J, Douoguih M, Struyf F; ENSEMBLE2 study group. Efficacy, safety, and immunogenicity of a booster regimen of Ad26.COV2.S vaccine against COVID-19 (ENSEMBLE2): results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2022 Dec;22(12):1703-1715.
- Sandhu A, Polistico JMF, Meyer MP, Gonzalez G, Kiama K, Lebednick M, Prentiss T, Misikir H, Heinonen J, Zervos J, Kilgore PE, Zervos MJ, Fink LR, Rehman NK, Maples C, Chopra T. Pandemic response gaps: Infection prevention and control lessons learned during coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreaks in skilled nursing facilities in Detroit, Michigan. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2022 Aug 10:1-5.
- Sobeck J, Smith-Darden J, Gartner D, Kaljee L, Pieper B, Kilgore P, Zervos M. Antibiotic Knowledge, Beliefs, and Behaviors: Testing Competing Hypotheses Using an Urban Community Sample. Health Commun. 2022 Jun;37(7):862-871.
- Iijima T, Ando S, Kanamori D, Kuroda K, Nomura T, Tisi L, Kilgore PE, Percy N, Kohase H, Hayakawa S, Seki M, Hoshino T. Detection of SARS-CoV-2 and the L452R spike mutation using reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification plus bioluminescent assay in real-time (RT-LAMP-BART). PLoS One. 2022 Mar 21;17(3):e0265748.
- Gilbert PB, Montefiori DC, McDermott AB, Fong Y, Benkeser D, Deng W, Zhou H, Houchens CR, Martins K, Jayashankar L, Castellino F, et al. Immune Assays Team; Moderna, Inc. Team; Coronavirus Vaccine Prevention Network (CoVPN)/Coronavirus Efficacy (COVE) Team; United States Government (USG)/CoVPN Biostatistics Team. Immune correlates analysis of the mRNA1273 COVID-19 vaccine efficacy clinical trial. Science. 2022 Jan 7;375(6576):43-50.
- Sadoff J, Gray G, Vandebosch A, Cárdenas V, Shukarev G, Grinsztejn B, Goepfert PA, Truyers C, Van Dromme I, Spiessens B, Vingerhoets J, Custers J, Scheper G, Robb ML, Treanor J, Ryser MF, Barouch DH, Swann E, Marovich MA, Neuzil KM, Corey L, Stoddard J, Hardt K, Ruiz-Guiñazú J, Le Gars M, Schuitemaker H, Van Hoof J, Struyf F, Douoguih M; ENSEMBLE Study Group (Paul Kilgore Member of ENSEMBLE Study Group). Final Analysis of Efficacy and Safety of Single-Dose Ad26.COV2.S. N Engl J Med. 2022 Mar 3;386(9):847-860.
- Takano C, Seki M, Kim DW, Kilgore PE, Fuwa K, Takahashi K, Inazaki T, Hayakawa S. Corrigendum: Molecular Serotype-Specific Identification of Nontype b Haemophilus influenzae by Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification. Front Microbiol. 2022 Mar 14;13:870651. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2022.870651.
- McKinnon JE, Wang DD, Zervos M, Saval M, Marshall-Nightengale L, Kilgore P, et al. Safety and tolerability of hydroxychloroquine in health care workers and first responders for the prevention of COVID-19: WHIP COVID-19 Study. Int J Infect Dis. 2021 Dec 23;116:167-173.
- Chen Y, Zhao YL, Hao ZY, Zhang XJ, Ma JC, Zhang ZY, Zhang YH, Zhao G, Qiu C, Kilgore PE, Wang SM, Wang XY. Long-term persistence of antiHAV antibody conferred by a single dose of live-attenuated hepatitis A vaccine: Results from 17-year follow-up. J Viral Hepat. 2021 Dec;28(12):1751-1755.
- El Sahly HM, Baden LR, Essink B, Doblecki-Lewis S, Martin JM, Anderson EJ, Campbell TB, Clark J, Jackson LA, Fichtenbaum CJ, Zervos M, et al; COVE Study Group (Paul Kilgore Member of COVE Study Group). Efficacy of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine at Completion of Blinded Phase. N Engl J Med. 2021 Nov 4;385(19):1774-1785.
- Sadoff J, Gray G, Vandebosch A, Cárdenas V, Shukarev G, Grinsztejn B, Goepfert PA, Truyers C, Fennema H, Spiessens B, Offergeld K, Scheper G, Taylor KL, Robb ML, Treanor J, Barouch DH, Stoddard J, Ryser MF, Marovich MA, Neuzil KM, Corey L, Cauwenberghs N, Tanner T, Hardt K, Ruiz-Guiñazú J, Le Gars M, Schuitemaker H, Van Hoof J, Struyf F, Douoguih M; ENSEMBLE Study Group (Paul Kilgore Member of ENSEMBLE Study Group). Safety and Efficacy of Single-Dose Ad26.COV2.S Vaccine against Covid-19. N Engl J Med. 2021 Jun 10;384(23):2187-2201.
- Lee J, Yoon Y, Kim EJ, Lee D, Baek Y, Takano C, Chang B, Iijima T, Kilgore PE, Hayakawa S, Hoshino T, Kim DW, Seki M. 23-valent polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23)-targeted serotype-specific identification of Streptococcus pneumoniae using the loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) method. PLoS One. 2021 Feb 16;16(2):e0246699.
- Baden LR, El Sahly HM, Essink B, Kotloff K, Frey S, Novak R, Diemert D, Spector SA, Rouphael N, Creech CB, McGettigan J, Khetan S, Segall N, Solis J, Brosz A, Fierro C, Schwartz H, Neuzil K, Corey L, Gilbert P, Janes H, Follmann D, Marovich M, Mascola J, Polakowski L, Ledgerwood J, Graham BS, Bennett H, Pajon R, Knightly C, Leav B, Deng W, Zhou H, Han S, Ivarsson M, Miller J, Zaks T; COVE Study Group (listed in Supplemental Materials). Efficacy and Safety of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine. N Engl J Med. 2021 Feb 4;384(5):403-416.
- Lucien MAB, Canarie MF, Kilgore PE, Jean-Denis G, Fénélon N, Pierre M, Cerpa M, Joseph GA, Maki G, Zervos MJ, Dely P, Boncy J, Sati H, Rio AD, Ramon-Pardo P. Antibiotics and antimicrobial resistance in the COVID-19 era: Perspective from resource-limited settings. Int J Infect Dis. 2021 Jan 9;104:250254.
- Zervos M, Arshad S, Kilgore P, Chaudhry ZS, Jacobsen G, Wang DD, Huitsing K, Brar I, Alangaden GJ, Ramesh MS, McKinnon JE, O'Neill W. A sound approach: Hydroxychloroquine reduces mortality in severe COVID-19. Int J Infect Dis. 2020 Oct;99:138-139.
- Arshad S, Kilgore P, Chaudhry ZS, Jacobsen G, Wang DD, Huitsing K, Brar I, Alangaden GJ, Ramesh MS, McKinnon JE, O'Neill W, Zervos M; Henry Ford COVID-19 Task Force. Treatment with hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, and combination in patients hospitalized with COVID-19. Int J Infect Dis. 2020 Aug;97:396-403.
- Mudali G, Kilgore PE, Salim A, McElmurry SP, Zervos M. Trends in Legionnaires' Disease-Associated Hospitalizations, United States, 2006-2010. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020 Jul 17;7(8):ofaa296.
- Sobeck J, Smith-Darden J, Hicks M, Kernsmith P, Kilgore PE, TreemoreSpears L, McElmurry S. Stress, Coping, Resilience and Trust during the Flint Water Crisis. Behav Med. 2020 Jul-Sep;46(3-4):202-216.
- Sanchez GV, Biedron C, Fink LR, Hatfield KM, Polistico JMF, Meyer MP, Noe RS, Copen CE, Lyons AK, Gonzalez G, Kiama K, Lebednick M, Czander BK, Agbonze A, Surma AR, Sandhu A, Mika VH, Prentiss T, Zervos J, Dalal DA, Vasquez AM, Reddy SC, Jernigan J, Kilgore PE, Zervos MJ, Chopra T, Bezold CP, Rehman NK. Initial and Repeated Point Prevalence Surveys to Inform SARS-CoV-2 Infection Prevention in 26 Skilled Nursing Facilities - Detroit, Michigan, March-May 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020 Jul 10;69(27):882-886.
- Henig O, Pogue JM, Martin E, Hayat U, Ja'ara M, Kilgore PE, Cha R, Dhar S, Kaye KS. The Impact of Multidrug-Resistant Organisms on Outcomes in Patients With Diabetic Foot Infections. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020 May 6;7(5):ofaa161.
- Wagner, JL, Carreno, JJ, Kenney, RM, Kilgore, PE, Davis, SL. Antimicrobial Stewardship Metrics that Matter. Infect Dis Clin Pract. 2020 Mar;28(2):89-93.
- Takano C, Kuramochi Y, Seki M, Kim DW, Omagari D, Sasano M, Chang B, Ohnishi M, Kim EJ, Fuwa K, Kilgore PE, Hoshino T, Hayakawa S. Molecular serotype-specific identification of Streptococcus pneumoniae using loop-mediated isothermal amplification. Sci Rep. 2019 Dec 27;9(1):19823.