EACPHS: Office Room 3132; Lab Room 3341
Office 313-577-1523; Lab 313-577-0280
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD in Medicinal/Organic Chemistry, The University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
- MS in Medicinal Chemistry, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Punjab, India
- B. Pharm, S.G.R.S. College of Pharmacy, University of Pune, India
Positions and Employment
Navnath (Navi) S. Gavande, assistant professor of pharmaceutical sciences, joined Wayne State University in 2019. Previously, he was assistant professor at the College of Pharmacy, St. John’s University. Gavande was research assistant professor in the hematology and oncology section of the Indiana University Department of Medicine from 2015 to 2018. He completed postdoctoral fellowships at Indiana University under Professor John Turchi and at Purdue University under Distinguished Professor Arun K. Ghosh. The Ghosh laboratory has created Darunavir (Prezista®), an FDA approved first drug treatment of drug-resistant HIV for HIV/AIDS patients.
Gavande has extensive experience working at the interface of the chemistry and biology. He is the founding member, and also served as chair (2009-2010) of the University of Sydney AAPS Student Chapter.
Primary Research Interest
Gavande's research applies structure based drug design, novel synthetic nanotechnologies and immunotherapy to a wide range of diseases including lung, ovarian and colon cancers.
Courses taught by Navnath Gavande
Fall Term 2023 (current)
Spring-Summer Term 2023
Fall Term 2022
- PHA6125 - Principles of Pharmacotherapy VI: Oncology, Advanced Immunology
- PSC4115 - Pharmaceutics I
- PSC4125 - Introduction to Pharmaceutical Sciences: Medicinal Chemistry / Pharmacology / Immunology